Tuesday, November 30, 2010

B-raw-nies!

Trying out new cuisine is always so much fun!


One of my favorite blogs to visit for original recipes to try is Dreena's Vegan Recipes.
She always seems to have original and very tasty ideas!


One recipe of hers that I have been using over and over again is Dreena’s Frosted B-raw-nies.
It’s a tasty no-bake treat that you can whip up in about 15minutes.
You can view the full recipe by clicking here, but if you stick around I’ll take you through a slightly different version of the recipe.

Dreena's Frosted (slightly adjusted) B-raw-nies!


1)      Gather your ingredients.
           I gathered:
      • ½ cup powdered sugar 
      • 1 cup raw almonds 
      • 1 cup raw pecans
      • 2 cups (packed) pitted dates
      • 1/3 cup cocoa powder 
      • 1.5 tbs vanilla extract
      • 1/4 tsp sea salt
      • 1/2 tsp almond extract


2)     In a food processor add the almonds and pecans and then process until very fine.

3)     Add the dates to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is very crumbly. (I have a rather small food processor so this involved emptying half the processors contents into a mixing bowl so I could process two batches.)

4)     Add the cocoa powder, salt, almond extract, and vanilla and process until the mixture starts to sort of stick together.

5)     Remove the mixture and press into an 8x8 brownie pan

6)     Lightly sprinkle the powdered sugar over the top of your brownies and enjoy your creation!



NOTE: I am not vegan but the powdered sugar I used is so please no angry comments about my recipe modification…


This is a drama free zone :-)


If you are a vegan with out vegan powdered sugar or would just like to try out the original frosting recipe I strongly encourage you to check out the scrumptious frosting recipe that goes with the original version of these brownies.
Following the instructions exactly makes a pretty killer batch of brownies.
My recipe adjustment only occurred because I didn’t have all the ingredients needed to follow her instructions exactly and it’s cold outside so I don’t feel like making a run to the store. :-p
Whichever recipe you follow you should come out with a pretty fantastic treat to share with friends and family.
Enjoy!

No comments: