Thursday, December 2, 2010

Celebrating Chrismukkah

I grew up in an interfaith family and got the best of both worlds when it came to the holidays.

December 1st would usually start out with the opening of the first door on an Advent Calendar filled with chocolate sweets that my dad would pick up in England or on the way back from another trip. Then when Hanukkah came around my mother would pull out her menorah and light the candles with me as I nibbled on chocolate candy gelt.  Although each holiday is distinctly different, normally Hanukkah would fall around Christmas so during all of the Hanukkah festivities we would just so happen to be celebrating in a home decorated with a beautiful tree and all the trimmings as well as stockings hung by the chimney.

When I started dating my husband he was new to Hanukkah but he quickly picked up on the tradition and now when Hanukkah comes around he helps me light the candles in our own home.

It's a nice feeling knowing we will have so many traditions and hopefully similarly fond memories to pass to our children one day.

Today was the first night of Hanukkah, but my poor husband is home sick with a head cold.
All we did tonight was light the candles and then snuggle up together to watch a movie but I still think that was a pretty good start to the holidays.








Wishing everyone a happy winter season!
Whatever you celebrate :-)


No comments: